Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2025 Boxing News

Magazine

Yoshihiro Kamegai and Jesus Soto Karass ready to settle the score

A more powerful Yoshihiro Kamegai seeks to break tie with the always-game Jesus Soto Karass

Uli Martinez

7th September, 2016

Yoshihiro Kamegai and Jesus Soto Karass ready to settle the score
Chris Farina/K2

Yoshihiro Kamegai (26-3-2, 23 KOs) has previously fought in California a total of five times. After each occasion, he returned to Tokyo with his head held high, but without the victory, amassing a record of 0-3-2 on the American west coast.

This Saturday night, on the Roman Gonzalez – Carlos Cuadras undercard, Kamegai seeks to reverse his fortune against former welterweight contender, Jesus Soto Karass (28-10-4, 18 KOs).

In their first encounter, the pair treated the crowd to an intense all-action fight that ended as a draw and is on the short list for fight of the year.

“I don’t think I lost the first fight,” said Kamegai. “But it was an away game for me and I don’t think I did enough to win an away game.”

The Japanese native, and former OPBF welterweight champion, gained a lot of fans by taking Robert Guerrero to the final bell in 2014. The spirited Kamegai absorbed all that “The Ghost” could muster and made it to the final bell in front of an elated crowd at the Stub Hub Center, just a few miles south of The Forum in Inglewood, where he competes this weekend.

On Saturday night, Kamegai expects to be much stronger than he was in his first fight against Soto Karass and hopes that his power will be the difference-maker. “I need to have more power behind my punches and that’s something we’ve worked on in training,” said Kamegai. “He’s a very good fighter and I’m glad he wanted to do a rematch.”

Soto Karass also felt that a different approach to camp would serve him well. Though he throws over 30 more punches per round than the average junior middleweight, he felt that it wouldn’t hurt to have a little bit more fuel in the tank for his second lap alongside his Japanese rival. “I did a lot more roadwork, but mountainous roadwork for better conditioning.”

The Sinalo native also insists that his days of playing gatekeeper are over. “I’m a badass and in the end I know what I capable of,” he continued. “There are a lot of up and coming fighters but I won’t be a steppingstone for them.”

More stories

Teofimo Lopez

Teofimo Lopez says world champion rival is the ‘most overrated’ fighter in boxing

29 Nov, 2025
Muhammad Ali and Angelo Dundee

Muhammad Ali’s trainer Angelo Dundee said one fighter hit harder than anyone else he worked with

29 Nov, 2025
Shakur Stevenson

Tim Bradley names the one fighter who could beat Shakur Stevenson: “He might be the guy”

29 Nov, 2025
Oleksandr Usyk

Interim heavyweight champion says he’s ready to take on Oleksandr Usyk for the full title

29 Nov, 2025
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2025 Boxing News