Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

What’s next for Anthony Joshua

Joshua could face Yaroslav Zavorotnyi on April 5, Kevin Johnson on April 25 and then Dereck Chisora or David Price in the summer, writes John Dennen

John Dennen

2nd February, 2015

What’s next for Anthony Joshua
Paul Macleod

OLYMPIC gold medallist, Anthony Joshua, who has stormed through his early professional fights, was scheduled to meet Kevin Johnson last Saturday at the O2. A back injury however reduced him to watching from the sidelines.

“It was a blow. We would have done about 11,000 tickets and we’ve done 7,000, which is still brilliant,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “Not the injury, the only thing that was a blow was the momentum. He had great momentum. What the box office sales really showed us was he’s a big star now. So that was the disappointing thing. The injury is not one the doctors are looking at and going, ‘this could affect his career.’ He’s [doing] physio, strength work core, he’s doing altitude training. He really goes for it. He does train hard. He’s a big guy and it’s heavy duty stuff, when you’re sparring with heavyweights, doing strength work.”

This particular injury is not deemed to be a serious problem. “It just happens, you get injuries. Hopefully and almost certainly this one’s not a major setback,” the promoter said.

“He’s got a scan [this] week and they hope that the scan comes and he’s fine to start punching again. The worst way he might have to wait another couple of weeks. But he’s not out until April 4 and then he’ll be [on] April 25 at the O2 against Kevin Johnson.” In Newcastle on April 4 Joshua will go in to a scheduled 10-rounder, possibly against Yaroslav Zavorotnyi, who boxed David Price last year.

“I think maybe it’s a good thing because it’s just slowed him down a little bit. Everyone was getting carried away. He’ll regroup, everyone in April will go, ‘Wow’ again, then back at the O2 in a massive show. Then after the O2 on April 25, we’re really cooking on gas for the big fights,” Hearn continued.

“The big fights I’m talking about, Dereck Chisora, maybe Price [in] summer fights. I still think him against [Tyson] Fury is massive. If Fury gets blocked for [Wladimir] Klitshcko and blocked for [Deontay] Wilder, maybe that’s a fight we’ll all look at for the end of the year. But of course he’s got to chase Klitschko and Wilder. But I think Chisora and Price realistically [for Joshua] in the summer.”

FOR THE FULL RINGSIDE REPORT FROM THE LATEST SHOW AT THE O2 DON’T MISS THIS WEEK’S ISSUE OF BOXING NEWS.

More stories

Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard

Shane Mosley names which of the Four Kings he would have avoided: “No thanks”

16 Feb, 2026
Inoue and Rodriguez

Shawn Porter backs a winner in Naoya Inoue vs ‘Bam’ Rodriguez super fight

16 Feb, 2026
Amir Khan

Amir Khan names the career defeat that hurt the most: “I wish I could change it”

16 Feb, 2026
Fabio Wardley and Daniel Dubois

Derek Chisora sees only one winner in Wardley vs Dubois: “It’ll be a long night for him”

16 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News