Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Unbeaten fighter says he’s in line to face Gervonta Davis next: “They’re about to sanction it”

Oscar Pick

28th April, 2026

Unbeaten fighter says he’s in line to face Gervonta Davis next: “They’re about to sanction it”
Image credit: Getty

Gervonta Davis could be given an immediate world title shot upon his return, colliding with an unbeaten contender for the WBA lightweight strap.

‘Tank’ defended this belt against Lamont Roach in March 2025, boxing to a controversial draw from which many felt he was fortunate to come away.

Since then, the 31-year-old has been made ‘champion in recess’ by the sanctioning body, giving him the opportunity to eventually be reinstated as full WBA titlist at 135lbs.

This is partly because of his inactivity but also due to accusations of domestic violence, which led to the cancellation of Davis’ exhibition match with Jake Paul.

But since being removed from the non-completive matchup, which was supposed to take place last November, the knockout artist has teased a much-anticipated return to the professional ring.

Initially, he hinted at a possible rematch with Isaac ‘Pitbull’ Cruz, this time at 140lbs, despite winning their lightweight contest in 2021 by unanimous decision.

Alternatively, though, Davis could be set to face WBA mandatory challenger Floyd Schofield in a bid to reclaim his strap at 135lbs.

Taking to social media, the father and trainer of ‘Kid Austin’, Schofield Sr, has suggested that the Davis fight is next.

“Tank vs KID… Coming Soon. Let’s see if the young bull can take the crown of today’s boxing king.”

Tank Vs KID… Coming Soon 🙏🏾🙏🏾
Let’s see if the young bull can take the crown of today’s boxing KING.

Legacy 💪🏽

Forget a “0” …Let’s bring real boxing back 😊#boxingnews #boxingworld #boxingfans

— Floyd “Kid Austin” Schofield (@KidAustin11) April 28, 2026

Elaborating further on SouthpawTV, Schofield said that he was in line to face ‘Tank’ next with his father adding that he believes the fight could happen in July.

“He’s in line. I put the petition in with the WBA, we’ve got the lawyers involved so now they’re about to sanction it and right now they’re in talks, they’re in talks to put this fight on in July. It’s really going to be official the Tank vs Kid fight.”

With nothing yet confirmed, it is difficult to assess the likelihood of this fight taking place, especially given Davis’ ongoing troubles outside of the ring.

Either way, though, the WBA is coming under increasing pressure to present Schofield with a shot at the full title.

More stories

Tim Tszyu and Errol Spence Jr

Trainer Robert Garcia sums up Errol Spence’s chances of beating Tim Tszyu after 3 years out

18 May, 2026
Eddy Reynoso, Canelo, Terence Crawford and BoMac

Team Terence Crawford and Team Canelo clash again this weekend in heavyweight final eliminator

18 May, 2026
Champion John H Stracey and world cup branding

Mexico-conquering world champion John H Stracey sings new World Cup anthem for England

18 May, 2026
Fury weigh in

Tyson Fury confirms August ‘runout’ fight: “Then it’s the big one”

18 May, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News