Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

“The move to Sky wasn’t to fight Dan Azeez,” says Joshua Buatsi

Former Olympian also reacts to Anthony Yarde's recent world title performance, writes Shaun Brown

Shaun Brown

1st May, 2023

“The move to Sky wasn’t to fight Dan Azeez,” says Joshua Buatsi
Buatsi now has a new promoter - Action Images/Andrew Couldridge

Light-heavyweight contender Joshua Buatsi has denied moving to Boxxer to land a fight with Dan Azeez.

At a press conference in March it was announced that Buatsi would be fighting on Sky Sports once again after he and promoter Eddie Hearn parted ways following a six-year association.

This Saturday the unbeaten 30-year-old makes his debut for Ben Shalom when he faces Pawel Stepien in Birmingham. A win for Buatsi could bring him closer to a fight against stablemate and European light-heavyweight champion Dan Azeez.

“The move coming to Sky wasn’t to fight Dan Azeez. It’s a fight that’s available because yes, he is promoted by the same promoter but that wasn’t a driving point,” he told Sky Sports.

“I don’t think me coming to Sky means these fights can’t happen, me and any of the other light-heavies.

“He’s won all the belts up to European level, he’s number one in Europe. He is a good fighter. So, I think when we mention Dan Azeez, whether other people want to give him credit or not he is a top 10 opponent.”

Another light-heavyweight that Buatsi has been continuously linked to is Anthony Yarde. The two Londoners have shared many column inches together but sadly never a ring for fans to see. The pair have 42 fights between them but Yarde currently has the upper hand in professional experience having fought Sergey Kovalev and earlier this year champion Artur Beterbiev.

“He showed bags of heart, bags and bags of heart,” Buatsi said of Yarde’s performance.

“I’ll only concentrate on the heart because I think he showed it in abundance. Because there were times when he was badly hurt but the guy wants to carry on and fair play to him. He fought back, he fought back, he tried.

“At the end of the day he has fought for a world title twice and I haven’t. I know he was stopped in both of them, but he gave a good account of himself.”

More stories

Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis names the top 3 British fighters from the last 25 years

20 Aug, 2026
Muhammad Ali

Billy Joe Saunders says young star is the best fighter since Muhammad Ali

20 Aug, 2026
Carl Froch and Joe Calzaghe

Carl Froch honestly rates Joe Calzaghe’s boxing ability out of 10

20 Aug, 2026
Canelo and Terence Crawford

Canelo warned that Terence Crawford’s training partner is coming to ‘clean him up’

20 Aug, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News