Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Teofimo Lopez sums up Rolly Romero’s power after surviving thunderous right hand

Kerr Ferguson

23rd August, 2026

Teofimo Lopez sums up Rolly Romero’s power after surviving thunderous right hand
Image credit: Getty

Teofimo Lopez beat Rolando Romero over twelve in Las Vegas this weekend to become WBA welterweight world champion.

The PBC main event failed to catch fire, with Lopez banking rounds through activity and accuracy while ‘Rolly’ – who was upgraded to full WBA champion last year – was largely passive and looking for a fight-changing shot.

That almost came in the fifth, when Lopez was rocked to his boots by a huge overhand right. Though he also suffered a cut from the exchange, the 29-year-old recovered and continued to control the action.

AND NEW ✅

Highlights from Teofimo Lopez’s world title win vs Rolly Romero 🍿 pic.twitter.com/CHIsqJoJh5

— Ring Magazine (@ringmagazine) August 23, 2026

Speaking to Fight Hub TV post-fight, Lopez said he was ‘thankful’ that he was caught clean in the fifth stanza.

“I’m so thankful for that punch. That thing woke me up and made me realise why I’m doing what I’m doing. I bit down on that mouthpiece and said ‘you gotta do better than that to get me out, we gonna fight, let’s go.'”

Asked to analyse Romero’s power, which has produced 13 knockouts in 17 wins, Lopez was not overawed, though did brand him the biggest puncher in the division.

“It’s strong, I’d say. His right is stronger than his left. I’m happy to take out the biggest puncher at 147.”

As for the rest of the welterweight scene, Lopez will likely ignore Romero’s calls for a rematch and look to unify against one of his fellow champions. Devin Haney currently holds the WBO, Liam Paro the IBF and Ryan Garcia the WBC, though he puts that on the line in September against mandatory challenger Conor Benn.

More stories

Moses Itauma and Mike Tyson

Former Mike Tyson trainer Teddy Atlas delivers honest comparison to Moses Itauma: “He can do more”

23 Aug, 2026
Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua

Shane Fury shares honest feelings on Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua taking place in the US

23 Aug, 2026
Chris Eubank Jr and Kell Brook

Billy Joe Saunders predicts Chris Eubank Jr vs Kell Brook as comeback confirmed: “He beats him”

23 Aug, 2026
Moses Itauma and Filip Hrgovic

Carl Froch delivers KO verdict on Moses Itauma vs ‘menace’ Filip Hrgovic

23 Aug, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News