Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2025 Boxing News

Magazine

Orlando Salido drops out of fight against Miura

Orlando Salido, stating back issues, will not be fighting on December 17 against Takashi Miura

Uli Martinez

17th October, 2016

Orlando Salido drops out of fight against Miura

THE much-anticipated scrap between Orlando Salido (43-13-4, 30 KOs) and Takashi Miura (30-3-2, 23 KOs) is officially off the calendar, according to Golden Boy Promotions President, Eric Gomez.

Salido, the former two-division champion, was reporting back pain at camp and was advised by his medical team to sit out the rest of the year. There is no word as to how long he will remain inactive.

“It’s something with the sciatic nerve,” said Gomez to RingTV.com. “He started working out and getting ready for the fight and he had pain. He went to get it checked out and the doctor recommended that he doesn’t fight.”

Fight fans were beside themselves when the match between the two warriors was first announced. Salido has made a name for himself participating in one fight of the year candidate after another over the better part of the last decade.

His all-out battles against Marquez, Lopez, Gamboa, Garcia, Lomachenko, Vargas and Martinez were not pretty but have earned the rugged Mexican a loyal cult following.

Miura, a fan-favorite in his native Japan has followed a similar path. The Tokyo-based fighter, who hails from the renowned Teiken Boxing Gym, garnered international attention playing one-half of the duo that stole the crowd from Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez in November of last year.

That war against Francisco Vargas netted numerous “Fight of the Year” awards and nominations, and generated a great deal of demand for another fight in the west. His match against Salido was supposed to be his much-anticipated return to the United States and international television.

A replacement for Miura has not been named, nor has there been an official statement from Golden Boy Promotions regarding whether or not Miura will remain on the card.

More stories

Teofimo Lopez

Teofimo Lopez says world champion rival is the ‘most overrated’ fighter in boxing

29 Nov, 2025
Muhammad Ali and Angelo Dundee

Muhammad Ali’s trainer Angelo Dundee said one fighter hit harder than anyone else he worked with

29 Nov, 2025
Shakur Stevenson

Tim Bradley names the one fighter who could beat Shakur Stevenson: “He might be the guy”

29 Nov, 2025
Oleksandr Usyk

Interim heavyweight champion says he’s ready to take on Oleksandr Usyk for the full title

29 Nov, 2025
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2025 Boxing News