Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Now Deontay Wilder must fight Dominic Breazeale

Deontay Wilder must defend WBC title against Breazeale. But who will fight for the Interim belt? And what about Dillian Whyte?

John Dennen

6th March, 2019

Now Deontay Wilder must fight Dominic Breazeale
Action Images/Andrew Couldridge

IN the not-too-distant past the WBC was paving the way for Deontay Wilder, their heavyweight champion, to rematch Tyson Fury. They were therefore sanctioning Dillian Whyte vs Dominic Breazeale for an Interim title, to create an “absolute” mandatory they told Boxing News.

But now Tyson Fury, with the backing of new US broadcaster ESPN, has said he wants another fight before rematching Wilder, the WBC have changed their directives. Now they are ordering Wilder to fight Breazeale, according to them his mandatory challenger, even though they rank Whyte as the number one contender in their ratings.

The WBC’s efforts to allow Wilder to continue negotiations for a unification last year with Anthony Joshua and then permit Wilder to fight Fury and discuss a rematch has essentially created a long wait for his mandatory challenger. Meanwhile Whyte, fighting for a Silver title, has risen up the rankings, leaving the heavyweights in this messy situation. Whyte can surely feel aggrieved that his world title shot is long overdue.

Deontay Wilder

However the WBC have ruled that Breazeale will get in ahead of him. They said in a statement, “WBC world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder shall fulfill his mandatory obligations by fighting Dominic Breazeale next. This order constitutes the start of the free negotiations period for champion Wilder’s mandatory defence of his title. If no agreement is reached between the camps, the WBC shall conduct a purse offer ceremony on April 4.”

More stories

Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn

James Toney makes new KO prediction for Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn after watching Garcia train

20 Aug, 2026
Jesse Rodriguez and Gervonta Davis

Jesse ‘Bam’ Rodriguez responds to Gervonta Davis call out for fight requiring four division jump

20 Aug, 2026
Ryan Garcia and Shakur Stevenson

Ryan Garcia names the man to beat Shakur Stevenson: “I’m siding with him”

20 Aug, 2026
Anthony Joshua and Robert Garcia

Former Anthony Joshua trainer Robert Garcia sums up AJ’s KO power

20 Aug, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News