Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Michael Conlan could return in November or December, plans to fight for two more years

The Belfast boxer faces a second rebuild to get back into big fights

Shaun Brown

26th June, 2023

Michael Conlan could return in November or December, plans to fight for two more years
Getty Images

MICHAEL CONLAN is hoping to fight towards the end of the year as he looks to bounce back from his defeat to Luis Albert Lopez.

The Northern Irish featherweight suffered the second loss of his career on May 27 in Belfast when the Mexican won by fifth round TKO at the SSE Arena.

Lopez retained his IBF strap in the process and proved that his win over Josh Warrington in December was no fluke such was his display against Conlan.

Conlan admitted to Boxing News recently that he had considered retirement in the aftermath of the defeat says he can’t leave the sport in such a manner.

“When the dust settled, I was [like] nah I can’t go out like that, I can’t leave it like that. I’ve still got the ability to win a world title.”

“I don’t want to be in the game for much longer,” he added.

“I don’t want to be doing this for another five years. Two years, maybe. I want to win a world title and get the f*** out.”

Looking back at his performance last month Conlan puts it down to an off night and divulged some reasons as to why he thought that happened.

“It was just an off night. There’s nothing I can put it down to. Didn’t follow tactics, didn’t follow gameplan. Was warming up and didn’t feel like I was switched on. I didn’t feel like I was there. I had a bad feeling before the fight.

“When I look back on things, I put a lot of pressure on myself like this is my last chance and it wasn’t. I’ll go and do it again and I’ll win one because I believe I can.”

The 31-year-old knows himself that he won’t be able to jump back into another big fight. A rebuild, much like the one he embarked on after his defeat to Leigh Wood, will be needed before the time comes to face one of the very best at 130lbs. Boxing News asked Conlan if a fight against his Top Rank stablemate and WBO titlist Robeisy Ramirez would be of interest at some point down the line.

“Me and Robeisy have history,” Conlan said. “The 2012 Olympics. He ended up going on and winning it, beat me in the semi-final. He’s a fantastic fighter. If I’m honest I could see him and Lopez having a unification towards the end of the year.”

More stories

Eddie Hearn, Conor Benn and Dana White

Eddie Hearn speaks out on Conor Benn signing with Dana White: “I misjudged him”

20 Feb, 2026
Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather announces he is ‘un-retiring’: “I will set more records”

20 Feb, 2026
Conor Benn and Eddie Hearn

Conor Benn sends message to Eddie Hearn after announcing shock Dana White signing

20 Feb, 2026
Conor Benn and Dana White

Conor Benn announces stunning signing with Dana White after 10 years with Eddie Hearn

20 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News