Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Major update provided on Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao rematch: “That made no sense”

Sheldan Keay

30th April, 2026

Major update provided on Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao rematch: “That made no sense”
Image credit: Getty

The saga surrounding the rematch between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao has taken another twist.

Back in February it was reported that Mayweather and Pacquiao were set to do battle in a rematch later this year, over 10 years on from when they were first met in 2015.

It would have seen Mayweather come out of retirement and put his 50-0 record on the line, but ever since the initial announcement, there have been many developments that have thrown the fight into doubt.

Mayweather claims that the clash would be an exhibition rather than a professional bout, while Pacquiao continues to insist that it will be a fully sanctioned contest.

Earlier this week, promoter Eddie Hearn said he had heard that the fight would be cancelled, but now another update has been revealed that affects plans.

According to Boxing Scene, the fight will no longer be held at The Sphere in Las Vegas, and that the planned September 19 date could also change.

“The Floyd Mayweather Jnr vs. Manny Pacquiao rematch is in the process of shifting the bout from The Sphere in Las Vegas to an MGM-affiliated venue, either T-Mobile Arena or MGM Grand Garden Arena, an official familiar with the switch told BoxingScene Wednesday.

The individual added that the date for the anticipated follow-up bout to the most lucrative prizefight in history said it may also change, from September 19 to mid-August.

“It made no sense to put it at The Sphere – it’s not connected to a casino,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the evolving talks.”

The event is set to be broadcast live on Netflix, but it appears the issues surrounding whether it will indeed go ahead are still far from over.

More stories

Julio Cesar Chavez and Canelo

Julio Cesar Chavez asked where he ranks Canelo amongst the greatest Mexican fighters of all time

21 May, 2026
Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2 may be back in jeopardy as Mayweather books another fight

20 May, 2026
Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia

Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia agree on what weight they would fight at: “What are we waiting for?”

20 May, 2026
Oleksandr Usyk, Daniel Dubois and Fabio Wardley

Oleksandr Usyk sums up Fabio Wardley’s performance against Daniel Dubois

20 May, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News