Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Joseph Parker vs Hughie Fury is on

Hughie Fury signs the contract to confirm his world title shot

George Gigney

24th February, 2017

Joseph Parker vs Hughie Fury is on
Action Images/Andrew Couldridge

JOSEPH PARKER is now officially set to defend his WBO world heavyweight title against mandatory challenger Hughie Fury after contracts were signed earlier today.

Parker’s promoters, Duco Events, won the purse bids for the fight and initially indicated that it would take place in the champion’s home country, New Zealand.

However, nothing was set in stone and the two sides explored several options. Yesterday, WBO President Paco Valcarcel announced that Hughie had not yet signed his fight contract and had until 12pm UK time today to do so.

Frank Warren, who represents Fury, confirmed this morning that Hughie has now signed the contract and that the fight will go ahead.

Contract is now signed for @hughiefury to face @joeboxerparker for the @WorldBoxingOrg World Heavyweight Championship! #andthenew

— Frank Warren (@frankwarren_tv) February 24, 2017

Details of the fight are yet to be announced. Reports from New Zealand claimed that Peter Fury, Hughie’s father and trainer, would struggle to get a Visa to enter the country due to past criminal convictions.

The fights made its on @hughiefury ready WBO world title. @HennessySports@frankwarren_tv@MTK_Manchester

— peter fury. (@peterfury) February 24, 2017

Both Singapore and the UK have also been mentioned as options for where the fight could take place, though Parker’s trainer, Kevin Barry, previously told Boxing News that they would prefer to fight in New Zealand.

The fight provides Hughie – cousin of former division ruler Tyson Fury – with a chance to bring the WBO belt back into his family’s possession.

More stories

Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather

Oscar De La Hoya delivers honest verdict on Mayweather vs Mike Tyson

21 Feb, 2026
Shakur Stevenson

Undefeated fighter says his skills are superior to Shakur Stevenson’s: “I’m the best in boxing”

21 Feb, 2026
Conor Benn and Dana White

Oscar De La Hoya makes feelings clear on Conor Benn leaving Eddie Hearn for Dana White

21 Feb, 2026
Jake Paul

Jake Paul’s boxing future in doubt after emergency jaw surgery linked to Anthony Joshua KO

21 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News