Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Joseph Parker is willing to face either Hrgovic, Zhang or Joyce next

"I would like to be fighting Zhang," Parker told Boxing News

BN Staff

8th January, 2024

Joseph Parker is willing to face either Hrgovic, Zhang or Joyce next
Joseph Parker (Photo by Richard Pelham/Getty Images)

JOSEPH PARKER has revealed a fight with Zhilei Zhang was “locked in” before the New Zealander signed on to face Deontay Wilder instead last month.

Having capped off a busy 2023 with the biggest win of his career, Parker says he would be more than happy to now revisit a meeting with the Chinese heavyweight.

“Before I signed the fight with Wilder, Zhang and I already locked in to have a fight,” Parker told Boxing News. “I already agreed terms. So, I don’t think it’s a hard fight to make. But at the moment I haven’t heard anything back. I think both teams are still working on it behind the scenes. I’ve just been busy drinking coconuts and eating mango. So, hopefully I can hear something soon.”

Already the heavyweight division has two more dates for fans to look forward to: February 17 and March 9. Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury meet next month to crown the official heavyweight champion, and then a few weeks later Anthony Joshua faces MMA star Francis Ngannou. There are rumours, too, that Zhang could face Wilder on the undercard in March.

“Whatever fights they make on this card, or all the cards they’re working on, they are great fights,” Parker said. “Zhang and Wilder together. Think about it; that’s massive. I would like to be fighting Zhang or whoever they have available. I think it’s just exciting to see all these big fight fights happen.”

With March 9 just nine weeks away, Parker is aware he will have to make a decision soon about his own preparations if a fight is offered to him.

“I reckon give it a week or two,” he said. “I’m going to finish this trip off in Samoa and then head home to New Zealand and then head straight up to Ireland. It’s good to be in camp and stay ready, stay fit, stay focused and whatever pops up – whether it’s March, whether it’s April – whenever it is you’re ready to go.”

The one-sided nature of Parker’s win over Wilder surprised many. It also elevated his career to a higher position than when he held the WBO belt seven years ago. The 31-year-old is now ready for more big fights, whether that happens to be against Zhang, Filip Hrgovic, or a rematch against Joe Joyce, who knocked Parker out in the 11th round of a fight in September 2022.

“I know that the version of myself that fought Deontay Wilder is a lot different to the version that fought Joe Joyce,” Parker said. “So, the only way to see both versions of Joe Joyce and myself is to make a fight happen this year.”

More stories

Naoya Inoue

Unbeaten US world champion says he can ‘expose’ Naoya Inoue: “It’ll make me one of the greats”

21 Feb, 2026
Tony Bellew Conor Benn

Tony Bellew makes his feelings clear on Conor Benn leaving Eddie Hearn to join Dana White

21 Feb, 2026
Leigh Wood Josh Warrington

Leigh Wood vs Josh Warrington 2 live scorecard and full undercard results

21 Feb, 2026
Garcia Barrios and Roy Jones

Roy Jones Jr makes final prediction for Barrios vs Ryan Garcia: “I lean towards him”

21 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News