Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Jesse “Bam” Rodriguez-Juan Francisco Estrada eyed for June 29 in Phoenix

"I think it will give us a Fight of the Year," said Rodriguez's promoter Eddie Hearn

Shaun Brown

13th March, 2024

Jesse “Bam” Rodriguez-Juan Francisco Estrada eyed for June 29 in Phoenix
Jesse Rodriguez celebrates stopping Sunny Edwards last December (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

EDDIE HEARN says he is trying to close a deal that would see Jesse “Bam” Rodriguez challenge WBC super-flyweight champion Juan Francisco “Gallo” Estrada this summer.

The Matchroom promoter is looking at June 29 for the fan-favourite fight, a date which Hearn could use to his advantage because of what will take place 24 hours later.

This year’s Copa America football tournament will be held between June 20 and July 14 in the USA. And on Sunday, June 30 Mexico play their final Group B match against Ecuador at the State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. Hearn hopes to attract those in town for the football to Rodriguez-Estrada.

“It would do a huge crowd there the night before,” Hearn said in an interview on Matchroom’s YouTube channel.

“This is a fight we’ve been working on for a long time. I think Estrada against Bam Rodriguez is just a stunner. You keep seeing these small guys give us unbelievable nights. Estrada against “Chocolatito” (Roman Gonzalez) so many times. Bam against Sunny [Edwards] last December was incredible, and Estrada against Bam is just a Fight of the Year contender written all over it.

“Bam’s up for the fight, Estrada’s up for the fight. We’re trying to close it off. It would be a huge Mexican undercard in Phoenix as well and hopefully we can get it over the line.”

Estrada has been out of action since December 2022 when he beat Roman Gonzalez by majority decision to take a 2-1 lead in their series of fights. The 33-year-old had been in talks to face WBA titlist Kazuto Ioka in a December 31 unification but those fell through which led to the Japanese star beating Venezuelan Josber Perez in seven rounds instead.

Hearn doesn’t believe inactivity is a problem for Estrada at this stage of the Mexican’s career.

“Ideally, he would have a run-out but at the end of the day the date’s there. He’s not a spring chicken, I don’t think he needs to go through a certain amount of training camps. He’s ready to fight, he’s been ready to fight for a while. If he accepts the challenge of Bam Rodriguez I think it will give us a Fight of the Year.”

More stories

Shakur Stevenson

Shakur Stevenson sent ‘great offer’ for next fight with plan to regain stripped world title

19 Feb, 2026
Gervonta Davis

Gervonta Davis ‘top of the list’ for world title fight but would face big jump up in weight

19 Feb, 2026
Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua ring return being ‘planned for July’

19 Feb, 2026
Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran

Thomas Hearns names which of the Four Kings inflicted the most damage on him

19 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News