Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Moses Itauma delivers honest verdict on Usyk vs Deontay Wilder: “He’s not ready to leave the game”

Sheldan Keay

8th July, 2026

Moses Itauma delivers honest verdict on Usyk vs Deontay Wilder: “He’s not ready to leave the game”
Image credit: Getty

Moses Itauma has made his thoughts perfectly clear on the proposed Oleksandr Usyk vs Deontay Wilder showdown.

After Usyk chose to vacate his WBC, WBA and IBF world heavyweight titles last month, it has emerged that a clash against former world champion Wilder appears to be the frontrunner for the Ukrainian’s next fight, which he has dubbed as ‘his last dance.’

Usyk and Wilder were linked to a fight against one another late last year, before they each went in separate directions, with Wilder claiming a points win over Derek Chisora, and Usyk earning a controversial stoppage victory against Rico Verhoeven.

Nonetheless, it appears that Usyk and Wilder are now on course to meet next, but it seems that not everybody is impressed at that prospect, after fellow heavyweight star Itauma told IFL TV that the bout doesn’t do much for him.

“He doesn’t need to do that. Who the hell would want to watch that? Fair enough he’s achieved more than I have, so I can’t say anything. He wants the paper.”

Despite the criticism, Itauma admitted that he understands why Usyk would choose to do it.

“You’ve got to remember, when Usyk was a cruiserweight and even the early stages of the heavyweight fights, he wasn’t making as much money as he’s raking it in his last couple years.

“I ain’t pocket-watching or anything, but the last two to three years of his career he’s probably earned such a huge amount that he’s probably not ready to leave the game. I don’t blame him.”

As for Itauma himself, he will look to move a step closer to a world heavyweight title shot when he takes on Filip Hrgovic at The O2 Arena on August 29.

More stories

Anthony Joshua Knockdown

British boxing icon says Anthony Joshua’s punch resistance is gone: “The wind blows and your legs go”

18 Aug, 2026
David Haye and Daniel Dubois

Carl Froch predicts prime David Haye vs Daniel Dubois: “He beats him every day”

18 Aug, 2026
Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua

Josh Taylor sums up Anthony Joshua’s chances of beating Tyson Fury now

18 Aug, 2026
Lennox Lewis

Former heavyweight champion who beat Lennox Lewis will now return in September after 12 years out

18 Aug, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News