Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

“It was deeply distressing” – Frazer Clarke on British title saga

The 31-year-old returns to the ring on June 16 against Mariusz Wach

Shaun Brown

20th May, 2023

“It was deeply distressing” – Frazer Clarke on British title saga
Getty Images

FRAZER CLARKE is upbeat about the future having gone through a difficult period in his career this month.

The 31-year-old was mandated as challenger for the British heavyweight title by the British Boxing Board of Control in a recent board circular. On Wednesday, May 10 the fight went to purse bids. Eddie Hearn and Ben Shalom were expected to put forward their offers with the winner then going on to promote the event.

Later that morning it was revealed that Clarke 6-0 (5) and his promoter Shalom withdrew from the purse bids leaving them with a lot of explaining to do.

Shalom, Hearn and Wardley shared their opinions through various interviews during the day, but Clarke remained silent except for a social media post.

This week the 2020 Olympic super-heavyweight bronze medallist responded to the events through his weekly column with Metro.

“It was deeply distressing, and I can’t lie, I was very upset at first. Upset, frustrated and angry because I wanted that fight for the British title so badly. In the last week or so, emotions have run high.

“I’ve had lots of phone calls, lots of meetings, a lot of things explained to me and lots of things guaranteed to me for the future.”

His immediate future is at York Hall on June 16 against veteran Mariusz Wach 36-9 (19). The 43-year-old Pole has fought the likes of Wladimir Klitschko, Alexander Povetkin and Dillian Whyte over the years.

“An experienced former world title challenger who will give me good rounds in the bank,” Clarke said of his next opponent.

A bone of contention for Ben Shalom was that his fighter had not fought in a 10-round bout. Before facing Fabio Wardley, his preference had been for Clarke to get more experience having only had six fights and not many rounds.

“My deepest hope is we can still make the deal happen with Fabio Wardley and we can get that fight back towards the end of the year,” said Clarke.

“It is still a massive fight, and it has probably been made even bigger by all this controversy. But either way, there are big fights out there for me and we will land one before the end of the year.

“It has been a strange one, but for now, we focus on June 16 and Mariusz Wach. Nothing else matters apart from me putting on a dominant and impressive performance.”

More stories

Conor Benn and Dana White

Oscar De La Hoya makes feelings clear on Conor Benn leaving Eddie Hearn for Dana White

21 Feb, 2026
Jake Paul

Jake Paul’s boxing future in doubt after emergency jaw surgery linked to Anthony Joshua KO

21 Feb, 2026
Mario Barrios vs Ryan Garcia

“I don’t rate him”: Paulie Malignaggi says Barrios vs Ryan Garcia ends in KO

21 Feb, 2026
Benn, Hearn and Eubank

Chris Eubank reacts to Conor Benn ‘stabbing Eddie Hearn in the back’ by signing with Dana White

21 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News