Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

IBF react to outrageous Ryan Burnett vs Lee Haskins scorecard

IBF confirm that the Ryan Burnett vs Lee Haskins scorecard was incorrect

George Gigney

12th June, 2017

IBF react to outrageous Ryan Burnett vs Lee Haskins scorecard
Action Images

THE IBF have reacted to the absurd split decision result for Ryan Burnett over Lee Haskins at the weekend, acknowledging that there was an “error with the scorecards.”

Judge Clark Sammartino scored the bout 118-108 in favour of Haskins, who had been dropped twice, while Burnett was awarded two scores of 119-107.

It was later revealed that Sammartino had – somehow – got the two boxers mixed up, despite them both having their names on their shorts.

“On Saturday, June 10, 2017 the IBF Bantamweight bout between Lee Haskins and Ryan Burnett held at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast, Ireland was ruled a split decision victory for Burnett as a result of an error with the scorecards,” the IBF statement read.

“Due to this error, in which one of the scores after each round was recorded on the individual scorecards for the incorrect fighter, the bout was declared a split decision when it should have been ruled a unanimous decision in favour of Burnett. An error of this nature and at this level of the sport should not have occurred.”

British Boxing Board of Control General Secretary Robert Smith said that Sammartino would “not be back” judging fights in the UK after his farcical card.

However, the IBF were noticeably noncommittal about the future of the judge.

“The IBF carefully considers the officials it recommends for appointment to a bout. Judge Clark Sammartino has been a member of the IBF for many years and has been a solid, reliable and consistent judge,” the statement continued.

“He has an active officiating career and has worked at the world-class level. The IBF remains committed to recommending qualified and reliable officials to work its sanctioned bouts, and is fully intent on deterring a situation such as this one from occurring again in the future.”

More stories

Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis questions former heavyweight champion’s desire: “Has he got the fight left?”

19 Feb, 2026
Froch Wood and Warrington

Carl Froch says Wood vs Warrington rematch ends in another KO: “It’s a close fight”

19 Feb, 2026
Ishmael Davis

No days off: Ishmael Davis aims for the top ahead of Bilal Fawaz defence

19 Feb, 2026
Dubois and Wardley

Moses Itauma delivers honest verdict on Wardley vs Dubois: “He’ll smash him out”

19 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News