Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Frank Warren reacts to Billy Joe Saunders-Willie Monroe drug testing row

Billy Joe Saunders says he is training furiously to beat Monroe and snare the Golovkin-Canelo victor, writes John Dennen

John Dennen

13th September, 2017

Frank Warren reacts to Billy Joe Saunders-Willie Monroe drug testing row
Action Images/Reuters/Tony O'Brien

PREVIOUSLY, as Willie Monroe Jr prepared for his WBO middleweight world title challenge against Billy Joe Saunders this Saturday (September 16), the American had complained about UK Anti-Doping regulating the fight, rather than VADA (the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association).

Frank Warren, who stages their world title fight at the Copperbox Arena in London, reacted to the challenger’s concerns. “He is coming here under the terms of the British Boxing Board of Control and what was in the contract,” the promoter said.

“What he was talking about was ridiculous because at that stage he hadn’t even registered for what he was supposed to be doing. There’s no problems with this at all. That’s just him not understanding what the regulations are. Everyone’s conforming to what they should conform to.”

The fighters had plenty more to disagree about at a press conference that was testy and at times surreal at the BT Sport studio in Stratford.

Saunders railed at Monroe, eyeing the Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin victor and declaring (as they interrupted one another), “I know I’ve got a multi, multi million pound fight in front of me. You had that in front of you, you quit [against Golovkin].”

billy joe saunders

Saunders insists he is bouncing back from the doldrums of his career. “I actually had a meeting with Frank Warren and said, ‘I don’t want to box no more.’ I’ve got a few quid and don’t want to fight anymore. But it was because I wasn’t getting what was coming to me. I want to test myself. I’ve done everything. I’ve been to the Olympic Games at 18, I’ve won Southern Area, British, Commonwealth, European, WBO world title. I thought I’ve done all that,” Billy Joe said.

“But I know I’ve got what it takes to beat Golovkin or Canelo. I know that I’m not done till I test myself… I want to fight Golovkin or Canelo to test myself at the elite level. When I went to Sheffield [to train with Dominic Ingle], where I trained for the Olympic Games, I got the hunger back and the desire back, everything.

“There is never a quit in my body. There is never, ever, ever a quit in my body.”

Watch Billy Joe Saunders discuss the Golovkin-Canelo fight here:

Video: BoxNation

More stories

Shakur Stevenson

Former world champion admits he shouldn’t have fought Shakur Stevenson when he did

22 Aug, 2026
Oleksandr Usyk and Shakur Stevenson

Shakur Stevenson names the American heavyweight who would have beaten Usyk

22 Aug, 2026
Crawford and Pacquiao

Adrien Broner predicts prime Manny Pacquiao vs Terence Crawford: “He’s got power”

22 Aug, 2026
Eddie Hearn and Tyson Fury

Eddie Hearn responds to Tyson Fury saying Anthony Joshua ‘has pulled out of the fight’

22 Aug, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News