Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

EXCLUSIVE Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor has NOT been requested for August 26

Neither Floyd Mayweather nor Conor McGregor have a Nevada boxing licence

George Gigney

12th June, 2017

EXCLUSIVE Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor has NOT been requested for August 26
Esther Lin/Showtime

YESTERDAY, Boxing News revealed that Floyd Mayweather had the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on hold for August 26, sparking speculation that the announcement of a fight with Conor McGregor was imminent.

However, we have obtained new information which apparently torpedoes those rumours – neither Mayweather nor McGregor have been granted a boxing licence by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

McGregor has applied for a licence, but has not yet given over the relevant documentation, while Mayweather – who retired in 2015 – is yet to even apply for a new one.

“We have not received all the documents for McGregor, Mayweather has not applied for his licence, thus at this time there is no request for the fight,” NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett told Boxing News.

While Bennett could not be drawn on the August 26 boxing event on the NSAC calendar, it is being reported that Mayweather has withdrawn his original request for that date at the MGM Grand.

Told by two sources @FloydMayweather has retracted request to Nevada for Aug. 26 fight date.

— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) June 13, 2017

McGregor, who would be making his professional boxing debut against Mayweather, recently teased some “big” news while Floyd has been sparring southpaws in his Las Vegas gym, supposedly in preparation for port-sider McGregor.

The Irishman claims his side of the deal – which will be for an extraordinary amount of money – is signed, while Mayweather is yet to confirm whether he has put pen to paper or not.

While neither man is licenced in Nevada, it would be relatively easy for both to get licences and Bennett has previously told us he would be glad to sanction the fight in Vegas. The August 26 date sits three weeks before Gennady Golovkin’s mouth-watering clash with Canelo Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

More stories

Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis questions former heavyweight champion’s desire: “Has he got the fight left?”

19 Feb, 2026
Froch Wood and Warrington

Carl Froch says Wood vs Warrington rematch ends in another KO: “It’s a close fight”

19 Feb, 2026
Ishmael Davis

No days off: Ishmael Davis aims for the top ahead of Bilal Fawaz defence

19 Feb, 2026
Dubois and Wardley

Moses Itauma delivers honest verdict on Wardley vs Dubois: “He’ll smash him out”

19 Feb, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News