Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Former undisputed champion says he is fighting Tim Tszyu next: “We’re working on the location”

Tom Eaton

18th August, 2026

Former undisputed champion says he is fighting Tim Tszyu next: “We’re working on the location”
Image credit: Getty

Tim Tszyu scored a career-best win over Errol Spence Jr last time out, and now it seems as though the Aussie will take on another tough assignment, with a showdown against a former undisputed world champion supposedly in the works.

Tszyu was knocked out by Sebastian Fundora for a second time in their rematch for the WBC super-welterweight world title last year, but the 31-year-old has responded with a trifecta of wins on home soil and has recently appointed Australian boxing legend, Jeff Fenech, as his lead trainer.

Last month, he handed Spence Jr a final career defeat, with the Texan announcing his retirement during the aftermath, whilst Tszyu looked poised to challenge Erislandy Lara for the WBA middleweight title after unveiling plans to make a permanent switch to the 160lb division.

However, according to Lance Pugmire, former undisputed super-welterweight world champion Jermell Charlo has informed him that his next outing will be against Tszyu.

Story update: Told by @TwinCharlo that talks of him fighting Ortiz is “not true at all.. I talked to Al (Haymon) myself and I’m (fighting) Tim (Tszyu) next, working on location..”

— Lance Pugmire (@pugboxing) August 18, 2026

Charlo has not fought since an underwhelming challenge for Canelo Alvarez’s undisputed super-middleweight crown back in September 2023, but it seems ‘Iron Man’ is now planning on breathing new life into the middleweight scene; which is in desperate need of a new poster boy.

It is still possible that Tszyu could either be using Charlo as leverage for his negotiations with Lara or simply eyeing the American up for a potential first defence, if able to dethrone the 43-year-old Cuban in their rumoured December scrap.

More stories

Joshua and Fury close up

Tyson Fury speaks out after concerns that location dispute could derail Anthony Joshua fight

18 Aug, 2026
Anthony Joshua Knockdown

British boxing icon says Anthony Joshua’s punch resistance is gone: “The wind blows and your legs go”

18 Aug, 2026
David Haye and Daniel Dubois

Carl Froch predicts prime David Haye vs Daniel Dubois: “He beats him every day”

18 Aug, 2026
Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua

Josh Taylor sums up Anthony Joshua’s chances of beating Tyson Fury now

18 Aug, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News