Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2025 Boxing News

Magazine

Doina Costin holds world title dreams

Fan support required as Northampton boxer continues pro journey

BN Staff

4th September, 2024

Doina Costin holds world title dreams

By Paul Webb

DOINA Costin has world title aspirations, and her journey towards that goal continues Friday night at the Mercure Hotel in Northampton on BCB Promotions’ Maximum Mayhem 2.

“I am really excited to be back out again,” said Costin. It has been longer than I would have liked since my debut in February, and the hardest thing is getting people out to support you.

“Without people coming out, I won’t get to fight, and I truly believe I can win a world title but need the continued support to be able to do that.”

The 30-year-old super-featherweight made an impressive start to life in the paid ranks with a one-sided points victory against Sherriee Barnes at the same venue.

The gulf in skill and speed between the two was vast, and the Moldovan-born talent took all four rounds on referee Ryan Churchill’s scorecard.

“To be honest, the fight wasn’t hard because we had put in so much work in the gym in preparation for it. I’m not a fighter who stands still; I use my footwork and hand speed to work my way around the ring. You will see a lot more from me when I am in with better fighters.

“I try to live like a full-time athlete and have a good team and coaches; nothing is easy, but I focus hard on my training. I’d like to add some new sponsors to help with this and make sure I can put all my energy into my boxing and not have to work full time.”

That training comes at the renowned Shoe-box gym in Northampton under experienced coach James Conway. The duo have been working together since 2021, a time when Costin had a small number of amateur bouts before making the decision to turn pro last year.

“This camp, I have been working a lot with Jessica Barry, and those rounds have helped me a lot. It is all about gaining experience, and the more people I spar, the more I am learning.

“I have been at the Shoe-box gym for three years now, and the training is getting better and better with a lot of talented boxers in the gym. I know I have what it takes to achieve in the sport, and I won’t give up until I achieve my goals,” added Costin.

More stories

Roberto Duran

Roberto Duran had over 100 fights but says one man stood out as his toughest opponent

28 Nov, 2025
Tim Bradley, Devin Haney and Ryan Garcia

Tim Bradley picks a winner in Devin Haney vs Ryan Garcia rematch: “I can’t ignore that”

28 Nov, 2025
Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield

Riddick Bowe places Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield in order from best to worst

28 Nov, 2025
Gervonta Davis

Mandatory challenger says he’s ready to face Gervonta Davis for his WBA title

28 Nov, 2025
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2025 Boxing News