Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Canelo now ‘expecting’ to face one man for comeback fight: “I am unstoppable”

Kerr Ferguson

30th April, 2026

Canelo now ‘expecting’ to face one man for comeback fight: “I am unstoppable”
Image credit: Getty

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez is due to make his ring return on September 12 in Saudi Arabia, with the only official announcement so far branding it a world title fight but naming no opponent.

Canelo lost all four super-middleweight world titles to Terence Crawford in September of last year. While Crawford retired and scattered the belts, the Mexican icon has opted to fight on and is intent on immediately winning one title back, as he recently told Oso Trava.

“I am unstoppable because I’m not undefeated, nor am I perfect by any means, but that doesn’t stop me from staying excited, believing, and dreaming about what’s to come and that I will be a world champion again.”

Christian Mbilli, who was upgraded from interim to full WBC champion when Crawford was stripped, has been the obvious candidate for some time now, but the teams on either side have been careful not to say too much.

With the date approaching and proper promotion soon to begin, Canelo’s longtime trainer and manager Eddy Reynoso has now confirmed to Lance Pugmire that he does indeed expect it to be Mbilli in the opposite corner.

Eddy Reynoso @CANELOTEAM told me today he’s expecting Mbilli as Canelo’s September opponent in Saudi Arabia, and when I asked him if Canelo wants Cinco de Mayo back, he said, “Yes, of course.”

— Lance Pugmire (@pugboxing) April 30, 2026

Mbilli won the interim title in June last year against Maciej Sulecki and retained it on the Canelo-Crawford bill after fighting to a draw with Lester Martinez.

The Cameroonian-French Canadian champion has expressed a keen interest in facing Canelo, rightly recognising it as the biggest fight on offer for him. He has also said he expects a rematch with Martinez down the line, who has since won the interim belt.

The fight, pending official announcement, gives Canelo an opportunity to win back the belt he had held since 2020, when he beat the UK’s Callum Smith in a vacant title bout. Whether or not he pursues undisputed again remains to be seen, but faces fresh challenges in the division if so. The WBA belt is now in the hands of Jose Armando Resendiz, while Cuban puncher Osleys Iglesias has picked up the IBF. The vacant WBO title will be contested next month between Hamzah Sheeraz and Alem Begic.

More stories

Gervonta Davis and Lomachenko

Gervonta Davis’ team responds to Lomachenko targeting him for comeback fight

20 May, 2026
Alycia Baumgardner and Claressa Shields

Claressa Shields releases statement after altercation with Alycia Baumgardner: “Not the full story”

20 May, 2026
Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler

Sugar Ray Leonard ranks one member of the Four Kings above the others

20 May, 2026
Andre Ward

Andre Ward says he was once hit so hard ‘he could barely move for a week’

20 May, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News