Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2026 Boxing News

Magazine

Alfredo Angulo was “killing himself” making the light-middleweight limit, says trainer Virgil Hunter

Hunter tells Matt Christie that Angulo's move to middleweight was inevitable

Matt Christie

11th September, 2014

Alfredo Angulo was “killing himself” making the light-middleweight limit, says trainer Virgil Hunter

ALFREDO ANGULO is hoping a move up to middleweight will rescue his career following back-to-back losses to Erislandy Lara and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. According to the Mexican’s trainer, the accomplished Virgil Hunter, Angulo had been struggling with the 154-pound limit for a long time.

“It gets to a point with most fighters where it gets almost impossible to take the weight off, and for the last fight [vs Alvarez] he almost killed himself,” Hunter told Boxing News about Angulo, who takes on James De La Rosa in a 10-rounder on Saturday night.

“He would be in the gym at 164 lbs, and he’d work his way down to 163, and he’d have to get all the way to 154lbs. It helped knowing that he was coming down in weight, but he did his best work in the gym when he weighed 163, 164lbs.”

Angulo, looking relaxed and cheerful, said: “The new weight class feels good.”

He will be favourite to beat his Mexican countryman in the MGM Grand, but the comparatively unknown De La Rosa – who has beaten Tim Coleman and Tyrone Brunson – is looking forward to getting some attention.

“I’m gonna put on a show,” he said, almost singing. “You’ve never seen my skills so get ready for a treat.”

More stories

Hrgovic flex

Filip Hrgovic vows to ‘stop Moses Itauma’ and then ‘end’ another British heavyweight

17 Aug, 2026
Hamzah Sheeraz

Hamzah Sheeraz called out for all-British stadium fight: “That would be huge”

17 Aug, 2026
Warren Fury and Joshua

Frank Warren addresses the one thing that may see Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua cancelled

17 Aug, 2026
Shakur Stevenson

Shakur Stevenson accused of potentially ‘ducking’ unbeaten champion: “What other fight is there?”

17 Aug, 2026
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • Features
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2026 Boxing News