Skip to main content
Boxing News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Schedule
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Fight Schedule
  • Current Champions
  • Magazine

Follow us

  • YouTube YouTube
  • Instagram Instagram
  • Twitter / X Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook

© 2013—2025 Boxing News

Magazine

WBC orders Alexander Povetkin to box Stiverne for interim belt

After eluding suspension, Alexander Povetkin gets another title shot

Uli Martinez

16th August, 2016

WBC orders Alexander Povetkin to box Stiverne for interim belt

THE World Boxing Council ordered an interim championship match on Wednesday between their number one and number two ranked heavyweight contenders, former champions Alexander Povetkin (30-1, 22 KOs) from Russia and Haiti’s Bermane Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs).

“The free negotiations period begins today and if there is no agreement a purse bid will be conducted on Friday September 16th,” read a translated statement from the WBC. “The split will be 50% for each fighter. Clean boxing program VADA testing will be mandatory as well as the 10% bonus from the bid for the winner of the contest.”

The council’s announcement came shortly after the WBC released their ruling regarding the Russian’s failed drug test earlier this year, which resulted in the cancellation of his bout against champion Deontay Wilder.

The ruling vindicates Povetkin due to “the impossibility to scientifically prove that Mr. Povetkin ingested Meldonium after January 1 2016, and WADA’s Notice concerning Meldonium.” WADA added the athletic performance enhancer to its list of banned substances on the first of the year.

With Wilder sidelined until 2017, as a result of injuries sustained during his July defense against Chris Arreola, the Povetkin-Stiverne order aims to crown an interim champion that will eventually challenge Wilder for the full championship.

After years of Klitschko dominance, the state of the heavyweight division has been muddied in recent months, with Fury running off with the WBA, WBO, and IBF belts long held by Wladimir last fall, followed by Anthony Joshua’s defeat of Charles Martin for the vacant IBF title after the sanctioning body removed Fury as champion.

This recent order from the WBC aims to keep the green belt in the limelight while Wilder recovers.

Assuming the fight takes place, the winner of Povetkin-Stiverne will have a shot to snatch the title from Wilder before the American has an opportunity to unify against the winner of Fury-Klistchko 2, if it ever happens, or Anthony Joshua, assuming he continues his unbeaten streak.

More stories

Shane Mosley

Shane Mosley fought in over 20 world title fights but says one man stood out as the best he faced

29 Nov, 2025
Thomas Hearns

Thomas Hearns still holds a grudge for robbery in legendary fight: “Even he said I won”

29 Nov, 2025
Teofimo Lopez

Teofimo Lopez says world champion rival is the ‘most overrated’ fighter in boxing

29 Nov, 2025
Muhammad Ali and Angelo Dundee

Muhammad Ali’s trainer Angelo Dundee said one fighter hit harder than anyone else he worked with

29 Nov, 2025
Boxing News

Since 1909

Editorial

  • News
  • Live Coverage
  • BN Investigates
  • Opinion
  • Features
  • Magazine

Boxing

  • Upcoming Fight Schedule
  • Current Boxing Champions

Company

  • About Boxing News
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy policy

Follow us

  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • X
  • Facebook
  • Google News
Copyright 2013—2025 Boxing News